Friday 17 November 2006

[Interview] The Ghost Is Back - Yoraps.com

New Styles interview by yoraps.com

Friday - November 17, 2006

The last few years haven't been easy for LOX member, Styles P. He's had to
endure the B.S. that comes with being in the rap game. He's been sitting on his sophomore album "Time is Money" for close to two years. In that time he's had his run-ins with Diddy (we all remember the "Let The Lox Go" campaign) and
some guy named Curtis.Now with all the nonsense behind him, his time is now. Or in his case, time is finally money. Promoting his album hard, we caught up with the "Ghost" in between his travels. With 10 years in the game you know he had a lot to say. Where else could you get it from, but here. Check out what the
"hardest out" is saying...

The album, "Time is Money". We've been hearing about it forever. Now it's finally dropping. Talk about finally having the album come out and having that monkey off your back.

Man, you don't even know. It's been real frustrating. It's been a
bunch of bullshit going on with it, but it's finally here. It's just a
relief. I think that would be the best word to describe it, a relief.You've seemed to fall in "the consequences of the game"
category. Explain how that happens to someone of your status. I don't even know. I wish I knew then I could answer a lot of people. I don't think I've ever since this happen to anybody else. All I can say is that I think somebody tried to blackball me. I think I was too powerful and strong so somebody tried to screw
me up. That's the only conclusion I can come out with.

What are some differences we might see in this album that we might not have seen in "Gangster and a Gentleman"?

Growth and maturity. Also more range. "I'm Black" and "Can You Believe It". Those are songs that you definitely wouldn't have seen on the first album. I'm stepping out the box a little bit.

"Can You Believe It" definitely opened eyes. How did that come about?

It was just me wanting to show that I could go outside the box. And it came out good. The fans were feeling it so I'm glad I was able to give it to them. It ain't about nothing negative. The main
thing it did was open up my range. Now I can step out and shoot a little farther.

The relationship between you and Akon. The two of you together seem to put out good things. From "Locked Up" to "Can You Believe It" and even "Watch Out" on DJ Khaled's album. What's it like messing with Akon?

Akon is a cool dude. He's humble. We hung out a lot and did a lot of shit together as far as shows and what not. When we be in the studio together we just do things and it just come out good. He's real cool to work with.

Right before the album drops, you're putting out some mixtapes. Let people in on that hustle?

I got a joint coming out with DJ Drama, I got something with Big Mike and I got a DJ Clue, "Time Is Money" mixtape dropping. I'm dropping tapes. Mixtapes are me. That's what I do. I'm not worrying about what people might think. Mixtapes is me.

How would these match up to the "Ghost In The Shell" mixtape?

It's the same shit. I'm bringing you the same heat. Same crack pack as before. Same crack pack just different baking soda.Besides D-Block.

Who else is on the album?

Talib Kweli, Gerald Levert (R.I.P.), Jagged Edge and a group called Flipsyde. I don't know what to classify them as. Maybe a rock/rap group.

Gerald Levert? Are we getting a softer side of the Ghost?

Nah, it's the total opposite. That's why I wanted it like that. I know everybody was going to think that it was some kind of
love ballad shit. It's on some O.G. shit for real.

You've been in the game for over 10 years now. People have seen you grow from a young wild dude to an entrepreneur sort of speak. What's been the biggest thing you've learned?

Just stay positive and watch you surroundings. Study the business. That's the most important thing. Know your shit.

Besides all the B.S. that goes on in hip hop, what was a good time for you?

when you won't get hit with some B.S. A good time though comes when you put out good music. Good music brings
good times.

Slowly, you've stepped your game up. Have you seen that in yourself?

Definitely. As time goes on you want to advance. I always look at it, if somebody counts me out I'm going to go out and work harder. The harder you work the better results you get. If you keep practicing and stay true to your craft you're going to get better. If a nigga shooting 1,000 jumpers a day, eventually he's gonna be better than a nigga shooting 100
jumpers a day.

By Marlon Guild

No comments:

Post a Comment